Friday, February 27, 2009

Think about it...

Have you ever had one of those moments when you realize that you are exactly where you want to be, doing exactly what you want to do, with exactly who you want to be with at that exact moment (lots of exactly´s, but necessary for my point)? I´ve had a couple of those moments in the past few years, but they happened to be when I was spending time with good friends. This isn´t to say I haven´t been happy the past few years, because I have, but in the back of my mind I always had thoughts of what I still had to get done, or where I had to be the next day, or who I had to speak to. These thoughts of responsibility didn´t ever keep me from having a good time, but they were an ever-present reminder of obligation. Last night I had one of these rare, purely happy moments. After having changed locations yesterday, I was sitting by myself at a cafe in the early evening, reading a book called Eat, Pray, Love (one about pleasure, spirituality, and the combination of the two), sporadically watching the people go by, and I realized that this was one of those rare moments. I was genuinely happy to be alone in the midst of the city hustle and bustle reading a book and people watching. While this isn´t the first time I´ve done something of this nature (as in sitting and reading at a cafe), it is the first time in a long time that I have felt no obligation to do anything I didn´t feel like doing. And I was alone. Don´t get me wrong, I love my friends and family and often wish for their company, but I was perfectly content with my own company. I heard a friend of mine say once that ´if you´re not your own favorite person, you´re not trying hard enough.´I suppose that is one thing that this trip is about for me: becoming my own favorite person. I will always have other favorite people, of course, but I should be first and foremost dammit! Anyway, not much has happened in the past few days by way of action, so I thought I´d share this bit of self-reflective information with you. Maybe it will make you reflect as well...

3 comments:

  1. Dylann, this is my first visit to the blog. And I like it! I will check in more often. People often call me stubborn, and I agree with them. But that is because I became best friends with myself years ago. After learning that you cant trust many people with many things, you have to come to that conclusion. I hope you are having a great time. I can't wait to travel some more after grad school. I agree that the best times are always shared, but its still worthwhile when its by yourself. Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dylannnn - Love that book too! havent had time to finish it however, been to busy loving my life :) Glad you are settling into your own - Take it all in - its all worth it - Love you

    ReplyDelete
  3. The universe (and my Mom and Bob) might be working with us to help my visit work out... I loved this entry. I hope to talk to you soon with good news. Love you.

    ReplyDelete